Health Action International envisions a world with safe, effective, affordable and quality-assured medicines for everyone, everywhere. To make this a reality, our staff and global network conduct research and advocacy to advance policies that enable access to medicines and rational medicines use for all people around the world.
Comprehensive Approach to Advocacy
To address medicines access and use problems, Health Action International focuses on creating long-lasting changes to government and industry policies and practices, rather than on temporary solutions. We pursue advocacy from the patient level to the highest levels of government through our ‘official relations’ status with the World Health Organization and respected relationship with the European Medicines Agency.
Our core values support our vision, inspire our talented employees to make immense contributions to our mission, and shape our culture. We adhere to these values so our partners wish to collaborate with us, our funders are confident in our ability to execute our work, and Health Action International is a rewarding place to work.
- Social Justice: We believe that all people, regardless of their socioeconomic status or geographic location, gender, sexual orientation, or ability, deserve equal economic, political and social rights and opportunities.
- Transparency: We conduct our work in an honest, transparent and ethical manner.
- Integrity: To safeguard our objectivity and integrity, we are resolutely independent of the pharmaceutical industry and protect ourselves from all other conflicts of interest.
- Evidence-based: Our advocacy is always based on objective and current research.
- Empowerment: We share information with and offer our research and advocacy expertise to other members of civil society so they, too, can improve access to medicines and rational medicine use.
- Perseverance: We know that policy change takes time and never give up until the job is done.
- Inclusion: We appreciate and respect diversity in all forms.
- Excellence: We value and invest in our staff and network so they can achieve the high goals and objectives that we set.
Impact of Our Work
As a result of our work, more people can access the medicines they need because they are affordable and available and more medicines on the market are safe, effective and address true health needs. In addition, healthcare providers and their patients use reliable, independent information about the medicines they prescribe, dispense and take.
All of this leads to healthier people who are better able to go to school and work, to volunteer and contribute to their communities, and enjoy life. These people go on to create stronger societies with economic growth and a robust social fabric.